Curlformers Extra Long & Wide Styling Kit curls hair up to 22″ long.
Price: [wpramaprice asin=”B006E4OTTO”]
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
CurlFormers, extra, long, Styling, Wide
Okay, I am a 4A/B all natural. I have been natural for about 3 years now and my hair is just past my arm pit in stretched out. I saw various Youtube videos using these and I had to try them. I normally keep my hair in protective styles, mainly 2 strand twists. I was ready to change it up a bit. All I can say is BELIEVE THE HYPE! These things really do work, even on kinky curly 4 natural hair. My hair is shiny, bouncy, and it absolutely looks like a blow dried, flat irons, then spiraled on hot curlers – it is that straight and the curls that defined. However, absolutely no heat touched my hair.
Yes, these are expensive. But honestly, to get this style in a salon you would pay at least this amount of money. Now, I can do this style whenever I please. An added bonus is that I no longer have to use any heat to do a length check – these smooth out my hair so much and get it so straight that I can do a length check by simply pulling out the spiral. I no longer have any reason for heat to touch my hair (I was using heat around twice a year for a length check).
How I did mine:1. Watch several Youtube videos with ladies of your hair texture doing demos. I was able to see a lot of different techniques and feel comfortable with the process before I started. This saved me from making any big mistakes.
2. Section and dry detangle hair.
3. Washed and conditioned my hair. Normally I just co-wash, but I had been swimming in a pool with chlorine and needed to do a full wash.
4. Put in a bit of leave in conditioner (I use Kinky Curly Knot today). I didn’t use as much as i normally use with twists – no need to saturate, just give a good amount to each section.
5. Tee shirt dry hair. Yes, just that – wrap an old tee shirt around the hair to get a bit of the water out (towels are too drying for my hair). I wanted my hair damp, but not soaking wet.
6. For each section I put on shea butter to lock in the moisture. I followed that up with using coconut oil and Kinky Curly perfectly polished. Honestly, I could have used any hair oil in place of the Kinky Curly – I also like jojoba or sweet almond oil, and I use olive oil daily on my hair.
7. Place the rods one section at a time. I used more than one kit. I had originally purchased one kit here on Amazon. I didn’t want the sections too big, so I realized I was going to run out. I sent my husband to the store (because I was looking crazy with a bunch of rods in my hair). Here is a BIG thing that I learned (aside from even sending husband to the store with the insert from the box, he can still manage to pick up the wrong thing) – natural girls with growing hair NEED EXTRA LONG and WIDE ONLY!! My husband got another kit(I only wanted a few more rods), but he got a long and wide kit instead of an extra long. My hair was too long for the long rods. Often times, since our hair curls so much, we don’t realize just how long it is. It has been over 6 months since I did a length check and I didn’t realize just how long my hair had gotten because I have so much shrinkage. Ladies, if you hair touches your shoulder in its kinky state (think twists) you need EXTRA LONG and WIDE.
8. I used about 50 rods total. It took around 1 hour to place them all (I got out of rhythm after my break when hubby went to the store and I also did my daughter’s hair).
9. I slept with them in. Now, I will admit that “sleep” probably isn’t the best word for what I did. I was able to get some sleep, but these things aren’t comfortable to sleep in. No silk scarf or anything simply because I didn’t have anything that would fit around my head.
10. Took them out in the morning and ohh la la!! Sexy, bouncy, shiny spirals that are amazing! They are soft to the touch (I didn’t use any spray, spritz, or anything else) and I am not walking around trying to be careful. They are holding their shape, framing my face, and giving me an entirely new look.
This isn’t going to be a “go to” style for me. I still like protective styles for my hair. However, I will definitely be rocking these about once a month to give my husband a little eye candy and a bit of a change.
My daughter wants me to try them in her hair. I will probably use the long and wide for her since she is just 5 – so her hair is shorter and there is no way she will be able to sleep in them.
Biggest advice:Watch videos of people that know how to put these in, then find a technique that works for you.Damp hair provides a much better final product than dry hairSmaller sections give a much more sleek and defined curl than larger sectionsAllow the hair to completely dry before you take them outUse a good moisture sealant (shea butter, coconut oil, any other butters you might use)If you have really thick hair, you may need a few extra rods – so look into adding a smaller package in…
Was this review helpful to you?
I’m trying to grow my hair out but with curling them with heat tools, I get a lot of split ends on my front hair and I keep cutting them off at home. I felt like it was impossible for me to enjoy curly hair without split ends.
It took a few tries for me to finally get how to put these suckers in your hair without completely tangling, pulling, and yanking my hair. The key is this: Twist your selected section. Hook your hair. HOLD THE HAIR IN HOOK AND PULL CURLFORMER DOWN TO THE END OF THE HOOK, USE YOUR FINGERS TO MOVE THE MESH OVER THE END OF THE HOOK, WHILE HOLDING THE HAIR IN PLACE. *This* right here was key! You have to bring the mesh all the way down and over the end of the hook, WHILE HOLDING HAIR IN HOOK, before you string hair through mesh. or else, OUCH.
Once I got my sections of hair in, I let it air dry (well actually I put a blow dryer on the Curlformers to speed up the process) for about 2-3 hours.
To take the Curlformers out, you lengthen the mesh until it’s straight, then pull mesh from hair. It gives easily after the Curlformer is straight. Tada! Sweet curls!
I run my hands through the curls because I don’t like the individual curl look. And when I did that, HELLO BIG HAIR!!! I have shoulder length hair and when I use these, I get REALLY big hair. I calmed it down some and then had curly voluminous hair.
Tada! Curls without split ends. Hellooooooo… long hair! Here I come! =D And I’ll have sweet curls while I wait for my hair to grow. Win-Win.
© 2017 Curl Eaze | CurlFormers. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by WordPress. Designed by